Monday, September 5, 2022

Inktober 2021 - Did I Start Unraveling?

 


In my last post, I was crowing righteously about having started Inktober on time, for once, and better yet, posting three drawings in as many days. But on Day Four, despite having made a rough sketch in advance, I hit a snag.

Well, actually, it was a knot.

The Day Four prompt, “Knot”, had inspired me to draw a very large and intricate snarl. It had good graphic impact, but, uh, did I mention “intricate”? Yeah, that part ended up slowing me waaaaay down. By the end of the day, as time was running out, I posted the work-in-progress pic, above, to let my fellow artists know I hadn't dropped out so soon, but I had indeed bitten off more than I could chew (after all, I didn't quit my full-time job during Inktober, and there are so many hours in the day to make tiny marks on a piece of paper). The next day, I finished it, so, not too late, I guess.



I started on Day Five, “Raven”, right away, but as that was also a pretty detailed piece, I didn't get it posted in time, either. However, by that time, other people were starting to post things late, so I wasn't the lone laggard. Less than a week into the month—you can see why it's called a challenge. A surprisingly large number of people drop out completely within the first few days. Producing art is hard.



The prompt for Day Six, “Spirit”, was one of those fun ones that could have different meanings. Alcohol? Ghosties? As much as I love a creepy Halloween picture (remember my “Wisp” picture from the year before), I didn't necessarily want to go to that well, figuring it would be a VERY busy one. I chose a more innocent type of spirit – school spirit! My cheerleader has a K on her sweater – which is my husband's initial. Hey, when you're the artist, you get to make the design decisions. I have a tendency to incorporate friends and family in my work from time to time to make it more personal and fun.



Day Seven's prompt was “Fan”, and since I'd already illustrated team spirit on Day Six, I went with a more Asian reading of “fan”. I chose a tiger because of their popularity and because I like tigers, not because it was the year of the tiger. It wasn't—that didn't happen until February. If I'd been thinking along those lines, I could have done an ox, but the sinuous tiger has a better shape for the fan, I think. A fire-breathing tiger, yet! 



Seven for seven, so far. Did I keep it going? Did I catch up? Did I implode in a huge flameout of ignominy? Stay tuned, and we'll see if I can finish with 2021 before Inktober 2022 starts. That would be novel, wouldn't it? 

Here are the prior Inktober articles, if you wish for more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment